Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Debate This: Are These My Gonsewski Great-Grandparents?

In the mood for debate after the presidential debate last night?

Debate this: Is this or is this not the 1900 US Census for my great-grandparents, Konstanty & Apolonia Gonszewski?

I located this census page from Scranton, Pennsylvania after finding them (or I think it is them) in the marriage index for Scranton. I will tell you more about all of this tomorrow. But for now, look at Constantine Gaska and his wife Apolonia Gaska on Lines 42 and 43:

The couple was living at 303 E. Elm Street in Scranton.
Constantine's birth is listed as Feb. 1878, yet all other records show Konstanty Gonszewski's birth date as March 10, 1879.
It also lists Apolonia Gaska's birthdate as Feb. 1879. This could be correct, since her ship manifest says she was 20 years old when she came to the US on June 2, 1899.
This census page was filled out on June 1, 1900 and it says that the couple had been married just 5 months out of the previous 12 months. So they may have been married in February.
 They both claim to have entered the US in 1899 and to have been in the country for one year. We know that is accurate for Apolonia.
Constantine is a day laborer and that would be accurate for Konstanty.

In an upcoming post, I will discuss the reasons why I think this may or may not be my great-grandparents.

Konstanty & Apolonia in the 1900 US Census









No comments:

Post a Comment